Friday, March 27, 2009

I am abso-fucking-lutely terrified

So, at work I do tech support for a particular piece of the software for some customers. For one customer in particular, I'm also the lead of the whole the group of tech people who support to rest of the pieces.

This customer hasn't upgraded their software since 2001. They've decided to upgrade.

No one else has ever upgraded a customer this far before.

*gulp*

Ok, so this is good right? I get to lead a team of people and take the brunt of the work on something that has never been done before. We're getting said customer up to a more recent version, and that's good too. Ok. So I can do this. I can see the silver lining. I can do this. Hopefully.

I have just gotten ok with this responsibility - it could go really badly. But it could go really well and give me that cachet of doing something (well) that hasn't been done before. Ok. So I'm good.

But now, this customer just decided, just 2 1/2 months out, that they're not going to do their pieces of it. They're going to just pay the extra money and have us do it. So now - all of the people that I lead have to do twice as much work. That means I really need to motivate them and really keep them focused. Have I mentioned that I have shitty people skills, and don't really do well with that?

I also now get to do three times as much work, and I now have the entire responsibility for this on my shoulders.

Ok, so now I'm terrified. I'm still trying to see the silver lining, but it's just not coming.

*sigh*

No comments: