Monday, November 11, 2013

Christmas

And it's time for another post that my family doesn't know about. 
I MAKE Christmas for my family.  Ever since I left.  My Mom is blind as fuck and my Dad and brother don't do Christmas shopping (though I will say I got the greatest gifts from my brother for my 30th birthday).  Grandma is slipping into old age and so it's always been up to me that they have gifts to actually open.  I'm not going to fault any of them for this at all, but it doesn't make it any easier.  Each year is a scramble to find SOMETHING that they'll like, times 10, and wrap and package the gifts and send them off, so each one of them has something to open that won't take 10 minutes to do.  Every single year.  This year I'm on sabbatical so I told myself I'd get all shopping done by the end of Nov.  I'm doing it, but goddamn.  The pressure is enormous every year. 
If I talked to them about it, they'd say Oh, don't worry about it.  But I do.  I want to make sure that every Christmas where I can't be there is perfect.  So here's another season where I'm trying to do this again, and it's not easy.
I suppose this is a total #firstworldproblems post and it is.  But it's also about giving your family a good Christmas with gifts to unwrap every year.  I will do the best I can.  But it's still hard. 

No comments: