Monday, July 2, 2007

Wedding planning sucks

So, I got up early again yesterday (10:30am or so), because I again spent a large chunk of Saturday sleeping. I was trying to get in touch with the place back in Rhode Island where the fiancé and I were thinking of having the wedding.
Well, I finally get in touch with them and find out that because our wedding will be so tiny (12-15 people) we can't rent their outdoor on-the-beach patio. They won't rent for less than 60-70 people. Boo!!
So then we had to go online to try to find new venues and I called all of them and had to leave messages and such, and that took like over 2 hours. I swear to god, I hate this wedding planning stuff. I want to elope, but noooooooooo, the fiancé wants a wedding.
I haven't even really gotten down the nitty-gritty of it and I already want to give up. That's not good, is it? I'm thinking of pairing down the wedding party too, to just a few people, and just having it in my parent's backyard. It's pretty and we could rent a tent and such and just have a dinner/small reception there and then hang out. The fiancé likes that idea (it actually was his idea) and my Dad seemed ok with it, but as predicted, it gave my Mom a grade A first class heart attack, *sigh*.
Eloping is the key. Maybe Hawaii. Just me and the boy. No fancy-smancy wedding, just elope, honeymoon, reception.
Anyways, since that's not an option, I'm looking for ways to make this smaller/simpler/etc. I am, perhaps, the only person that I know that doesn't want people around when I get married. I'm fine with celebrating with people, but I want the actual ceremony to be private. I can't be the only bride-to-be who's thought that, and yet, every venue we looked at yesterday were all for like 150-400 guests. Who has that many friends and relatives that they want to invite to their wedding???

6 comments:

loud said...

Just hire a justice of the peace and go where-ever you want. You don't have to "rent" anything out. Just go to a cliff or a park or whatever.

Or, hire a wedding planner to figure it all out for you.

11frogs said...

I'd vote parents' back yard. If you're only going to have a dozen people, you can afford to hire a maid to clean your mom's house or a kid to come and fix up the yard, and definitely someone to cater the meal, so she doesn't have to do any work at all. In fact, there place might look better than it did before the wedding! You could definitely talk her into it.

11frogs said...

Oh, and re: "Who has that many friends and relatives that they want to invite to their wedding???" - the answer is almost everyone. Of the literally dozens of weddings I've been to, only two have been fewer than 150 people. And one of those was 75 or 80. Only one truly small 20-some people wedding. The businesses are just catering to the market, so I guess just look for places that don't typically deal with weddings at all, and you'll have better luck.

Sleep late... dream more. said...

it cracks me up that 10:30 am is considered "early"

(^_^)

KittyWithClaws said...

Hey........I choose to sleep late and dream more ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't even start to imagine a wedding that small. So I won't ask to be invited, but if you have the reception in RI, I'd love to go. And if you beef up the wedding a bit, I'd go to that too, lol.