Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Big weekend, at least mentally

This weekend was Fat Far, an event that occurs every year on Father's Day up in Chippewa Falls and consists of lots of people renting inner tubes and floating down a lazy river tied to their friends and coolers of beer.
So, for the second year in a row, 6 of us went up there and did this (this year we took 3 coolers of beer instead of 2 - never let it be said that we don't learn from our mistakes). We spent 2-3 hours floating and drinking and talking, which was fun all in all. Since I've found that I hate getting drunk when everyone else around me is drunk (Halloween on State Street, anyone?) I didn't drink much, which proved to be the best decision ever. Here's why:
1) I didn't wear my ankle brace - the river would have gotten it nasty (the river is DIRTY) and plus tan lines (or in my case, burn lines, sigh) suck
2) We floated by a large outcropping of rock that people were jumping off of because the river dropped off dramatically right off of it, so you could jump about 20 feet into the water
Well, if you know me, you know that's something I would have participated in in a heartbeat before the accident. I was more hestitant this time, espeically since I was sans brace, but after about 2 seconds I decided "Fuck it, I wanna *do* this kinda thing again" and so I scrambled off my inner tube, swam to the side of the river with 2 of the other guys, managed to clamber up the steep, rocky side with only minimal help, and then, with my friends screaming my name, finally jumped.
It was awesome.
It was the most liberating thing I've done in a long time.
Ok, sure, it's nothing like the 6 hours of cleaning I did last weekend. But I still feel like I accomplished more this weekend than I have in a while.

No comments: